The Great North

The Great North
best place in the world

Sunday, May 23, 2010

observation of a child at the beach today

It was ungodly warm today. The temperature reached 87 degrees today. For the climate that I live in, this is very warm for this time of the year. Realistically, 87 degrees is very warm even for the peak of summer. The only thing that was kind of nice was that there was a consistent breeze that was the savior of the day.

I decided that I wanted to go to the beach to read some of my book and try to get my extremely white skin a beginner's tan started. Currently, I'm reading No Shortcuts to the top by Ed Viesturs. Phenomenal book. I very much suggest that everyone should read it. I chose a good spot right in the middle of the beach, right in the direct sunlight. I don't have a sunburn, but I defiantly have a mini tan started. There was a mother and daughter between me and the water chillin and playing in the sun. The daughter was probably between ten and eleven years old while the mother was probably late 30's to early 40's.

Before I claimed my spot on the beach, the two of them made a pretty impressive sandcastle. From what I saw, It had a couple towers, a pool right in the middle and a wall surrounding the entire castle. The mother and daughter had a couple bottles of water with them and a bag of stacks. At one point the mom unpacked a bag of tortilla chips and salsa and I became extremely jealous. At least I had a mexican coke with me.

The thing that I found fascinating was that every time someone walking on the beach walked past the sandcastle, the daughter would stop whatever she was doing and become completely defensive for her castle. At one point she actually positioned herself between the castle and and a group of kids walking by. I think this is very interesting because she was psychically harboring her castle from the observations of the other people on the beach. It didn't look like she had a emotional connection with the sandcastle, but it did look like she had enough connection with the sandcastle to physically save it from harm.

I thought that was just interesting when I was observing that today. When the two of them left, she completely destroyed the castle. I laughed at the irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment